Saturday, September 17, 2011

Unfinishable Craziness

There are a few books that I haven't ever been able to finish, which is really hard for me.  I hate starting a book and then never finishing it.  But.. I have *good* reasons not to finish them... I mean come on.. some of these are just a little ridiculous!

Before anyone gets mad at me for posting this: This is just what I think.  I am not trying to be mean or downgrade these novels/authors.  If you have read them and finished them, let me know what you think. :-)  Also, go read the book descriptions somewhere if you haven't heard of or read these.  That might make this easier to understand.

Side note: I didn't provide author names for a *reason*.  If you truly wish to read one of these novels and want the author's name (except for #2) then please leave a comment or email me asking.

1. Athalus
Let me just say this is an AMAZING book.  It's super long, super detailed and absolutely astounding.  I love this book, but can't finish it!  It was recommended to me by Zach (my boyfriend) and his step-mom Terri.  Funny thing is.. neither of them have finished it either! Towards the end the characters start traveling through doors that spit them out in a different area.. kind of like teleporting through a door.  But it gets super complex! It makes me think of the original Scooby Doo episodes where the gang is running away by going through door after door, only to eventually get confused themselves.  How annoying would that be in real life!? I guess it's like a city filled with one way streets (ahem.. downtown city streets... I. Hate.You!) you can't ever get somewhere simply by taking one street.  So.. door complications aside, this is an amazing novel.(If you do read this/have read this.. and actually finish(ed) it..tell me how it ends!)

2. King Arthur - Merlin's Tale (I forget the full title.. it's been 5 years!)
Another amazing book.  The one I attempted to read was from Merlin's point-of-view.  HUGE HUGE HUGE book.  I think it was 1000 pages long.. if not more! I had to carry it around for three months during high school for an English/writing class... talk about arm and back problems! (sigh) I had bruises from this book on my arms from trying to carry it around! But it was soooooo good.  The bruises were worth it! I couldn't finish it because it was too long and too detailed. And I had reached my max limit for renewal at the library (which since I worked there was 2 months...woops!).

3. A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to be a Woman
So. heavy. Emotionally, I mean.  This book gave me nightmares it was so emotionally upsetting.  I just couldn't handle it.  The pain, tears and suffering those poor women and children go through.. for nothing! Plus.. (no offense to anyone who likes it or to the author) it was a little hard to read.  I just couldn't 'get into' this novel and kept sighing when I'd try to read more of it.  Keeping in mind this is a memoir and non-fiction.. Non-fiction and me don't get along (hello non-fiction book! what's that? you hate my guts before I even tried to read you? ah.. well then.. this should be interesting..)

4. Lord of the Flies
Terrible book.  I think this tops my list for the most unreadable.  It's ridiculously detailed in a way that literally put me to sleep every time I tried to read *any* of it.  And guess what? It was a *required* book in high school.. so I have *finished* it, but barely.  I skipped over sooooo many pages that I didn't *really* finish it.  The characters were alright, but nothing made me want to read it.  Nothing drew me into this novel.  I know.. I know.. it's a 'literary classic.'  But I must have missed something that makes people like this book so much.. maybe.. (Before anyone says I missed the true point of the novel, I really didn't... we went over it in detail in my high school English class.. so no worries.)

5. A Moonlit Night
I finished the chapters 1-3.  That's all I could drag myself through.  I don't normally like vampire novels, but this one was a recommendation based on the Soul Screamers series (which I love).  So why not right? It was free too! Anyways, just became very bored very quickly.  I'm not sure why.  I just couldn't dive in. I might try again later..maybe... possibly... highly doubt it...  It very well could have been my unconscious mind making me hate it because I *knew* it was about vampires.  Hmm.. I don't know.  If you're interested (it went down in stars from 4.1 to 2.6 within 24 hours on Amazon) then I can lend it to you (for Kindles only sorry...).
 
There may be more to add to this list later on. But for now, this is all I can remember.

Plan on trying any of these? Have a book to recommend? Have you read any of these already? If so, please leave a comment with the title and author.  Happy reading!

No comments: