|Photo from Smashwords.com|
Smashwords is a great site to find more ebooks from. They sell ebooks for any eReader. It's simple to use AND cheap! Many eReader users are a little timid when using other sites (I know I was) - you don't want to mess up and ruin something right!? Smashwords is safe, reliable and eReader friendly - no worries!
Here are a few helpful tips and instructions when using Smashwords. This will be a two part "How To." Part 1 of 2 will explain how to download the ebook onto your eReader (using Kindle as an example) and how to know which format to choose. Part 2 will walk you through all of the features Smashwords offers such as gifting and viewing a sample.
For this demo, I will be using Ginnie Dare: Crimson Sands by Scott Roche. Here is a code YB49F to get his ebook for $.99!
Purchasing an ebook using a coupon code
- If you don't have one already, create a log-in for Smashwords. Click here to be taken directly to the site's home page. Smashwords is free to use and will not spam your email.
- Search for your desired ebook. For this demo... please search for Ginnie Dare: Crimson Sands - simply type in the title and click "search."
- Click on the title with Scott Roche as the author.
- Once the page loads, click "Add to cart." You will be taken to the check-out page, you can either continue shopping or check-out.
- BEFORE YOU CLICK CHECK OUT enter the coupon code YB49F in the "coupon code" box.
- Once you have added the code, click "update." The price should now be $.99 U.S.
- Now click "check out"
- Voila! You have purchased the book!
Downloading an ebook from Smashwords
(Do not use a public computer to download ebooks from Smashwords. You won't be able to follow these steps unless you have access to all of the files.)
- After you purchase an ebook, click on the title of the ebook to be taken back it's page.
- Scroll down to see a list of downloads. Select the version that best suits your eReader - the description will tell you which is best. Kindle = .mobi Nook, iPad, Sony eReader = ePub
- All the download to finish.
- Save the file on your computer - somewhere you can easily find it.
- Plug your eReader into your computer using the USB cord that came with your eReader. This is where things can get a little tricky. If you are not familiar with the files on your computer, please ask for help. If you share a computer with your family, ask parental permission first.
- Click on the start, menu or windows button located in the lower left hand corner of your screen.
- Go to "My Computer" and double click to open.
- Go to the file you save your ebook on. I save mine in a folder labeled "ebooks".
- Right click the ebook and click 'copy'.
- Next - locate your eReader's files. My Kindle is called "My Kindle Content" or "My Kindle".
- Open the file.
- *skip this step if you see a list of all your ebooks* open your ebooks/content file.
- Do another right click inside the ebooks and click 'paste'.
- Voila! Your ebook is now on your Kindle!!
Now safely remove your Kindle from your computer and turn it on. The ebook should appear on your Kindle. If not, turn your Kindle completely off and turn it back on. If you still don't see it, contact me and we can work through it. Once you go through the process the first time, it is super easy every time after that.