Thursday, February 14, 2013

Review Day: The Elementals

It's Review Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Title: The Elementals
Author: Troy Jackson
My Rating: 4 stars

Book Blurb:
Upon unifying the seven warring states under one banner, the First Emperor of China began solidifying power for what he envisioned as a thousand-year reign. Using those he conquered, the Emperor began a series of arduous projects, including the first Great Wall, the Linqu Canal, and a national system of highways. Ignoring the physical and emotional toll exacted upon the people, his insatiable desire to further his own power has led to a growing, and secretive insurgency. One such organization is the Dragon's Spite who wishes to usurp control of the throne by nearly any means. But first they must marshal their forces strewn throughout the kingdom. More importantly they seek out three extraordinary girls who hold vast supernatural powers that can tip the balance in their favor. But do these unknowing heroines realize the talents that they possess? Will the Dragon's Spite reach them before the agents of the Emperor?

My Review:
Incredible!  I learned more about Chinese ancient history in this novel than I ever have in history classes.  The background included in the novel is so extensive it just blew my mind!  I loved reading a novel that was chocked full of real history and fictional characters.  Troy Jackson did an excellent job of mixing in the characters with their period of time, location, and point in history.  I loved getting to know each one.  The  rich backstories he created are impeccable.  I couldn't get enough!  The characters just jumped off the pages and came to life.

Some of the most intriguing parts about this book is the mix of the female and male characters.  There are several stories being told from multiple points-of-view with some even intertwining.  I loved seeing how each character was going to develop into someone "big" and "strong".  I also loved hearing the female side of a story that was never valued in China during the era.  The tales of how the Great Wall was built were frightening, true, and painful to read at times.  I can't imagine the pain the characters went through!  Troy definitely brought this novel to life with his characters, creative writing and eye for detail.  Outstanding!

I chose to give this novel only 4 stars because of two reason.  One being the beginning - it starts off very slow and is hard to get into.  The second being the horror.  I didn't expect there to be so much blood shed and pain in this novel.  I don't know why, but it really bothered me during some scenes.

I recommend this incredible novel to those people who love history, Chinese history, Chinese culture, elemental stories, and anyone searching for another incredible read.  Content is YA/Adult, so this is definitely not for those under the age of 16.

Pick up your own copy of The Elementals on Amazon, Virtual Bookworm and Goodreads.  Happy Review Day!!

No comments: